Author Topic: Shineray XY 125 GY-SE Speedo Question For The Forum  (Read 9215 times)

john_20

• From Here To Eternity...
    • MSN Messenger - romanscribe140@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - johng1400@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shineray XY 125 GY-SE Speedo Question For The Forum
« on: October 09, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »

Hi,

Got my XY 125 GY-SE Shineray enduro deliverered no probs  8)

But D.V.L.A. refused to register it, as the 'certificate of conformity' was printed in white A4 paper - meaning use-less. For sure there was a certificate printed on coloured card with an official stamp - but that one is only valid for Europe - meaning that it is also use-less in the U.K.  :'(

D.V.L.A. told me that the European certificate is the 'real' one that they 'would' take. But the writing on it is no good for the U.K., as it states that the speedo only works in K/PH.  :'(

For sure the 'white A4' U.K. certificate does state that the speedo works in M/PH, but since it is printed on A4 white paper, D.V.L.A. laughed at it, and asked me if I had printed it out myself on a home p.c.  :-\

Grrrr.

Anyway - I have a forthcoming D.V.L.A. inspection in a few days, and I was wondering if the speedo that comes with the XY 125 GY-SE  bike is OK for such a D.V.L.A. 'test'?

The speedo that came with my XY 125 GY-SE bike is in K/PH in 'big' numbers, and M/PH in 'small' numbers.

I checked a few local motor-bike shops and there are plenty of scooters and bikes with number plates on them [registered] with the same kind of speedo that my Shineray XY 125 GY-SE has.  ;D

So - my question to the forum is: "will my Shineray XY 125 GY-SE pass the forthcoming D.V.L.A. inspection test without me needing to change the speedo to a speedo that shows M/PH only?"  ???

Thanks

John  ;D

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:27:04 PM by john_20 »
There's A New World Coming...

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

markb

• View Profile
Re: Shineray XY 125 GY-SE Speedo Question For The Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »

Hi

I have the same model as you and had the same problem when i went to register the bike at the DVLA, so i went back to the company i bought it from and they reissued the certificate saying that the speedo was in mph and kph. DVLA were then happy and no test was needed, would suggest that you try the same.

john_20

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

markb,

hi there

Cool will try that if I have to  ;D

But my D.V.L.A. test is in 2 days and the company that sold me the bike said it would take at least 6 weeks for any kind of certification to be forwarded on from the East.  :-\ I will write to them today, however, and ask them again.

This is why I was asking about the speedo which is already on it, which is in K/PH and M/PH - but the miles per hour are in 'small' numbers.

I have seen many other registered Eastern scooters, and bikes in the U.K. with number-plates on them and the same kind of speedo as mine.

We will see in a few days.

Anyway, has anybody else had to get their speedo checked? And if so, what was the result?

John  ;D

alex123

• View Profile
    • ATV Shineray
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

Hey John,
why not just print new paper with miles and change it?

john_20

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:39:45 AM »

Hi Alex!

Well....

In the end it was all OK  8)

The D.V.L.A. test was fine and the bike passed  ;D

The test inspector told me that the only two things he was interested in was: [1] whether the speedo has M/PH - which it does, and [2] if the frame number was 'individual', since some unscrupulous traders sell the same frame number to two or more people.

My bike checked out fine. The frame number really is original and the speedo does have M/PH  ;D

So - a happy ending. I will have my tax disc and number plate in a few days now  ;)

John

p.s I want to change the spark plug in my Shineray XY 125 GY-SE to an N.G.K. type. So, can someone please let me know which serial number N.G.K. spark plug to get, and what the 'gap' is to set it properly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:38:20 AM by john_20 »

Tags: