Author Topic: Another speedo question!  (Read 3088 times)

TheCommuter

• View Profile
Another speedo question!
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »

Bought my xy 125 gy new a few months back, had to put the front wheel on and the speedo drive. As soon as the bike is rolled forward the speedo pointer will jump to 30/40 mph! Been like that since I started riding it. No matter what speed I am doing it always seems to read the same - 40 to 50! Tried greasing the speedo cable/drive and moving the drive unit around the wheel but makes little difference. Also when I stop most times the needle stays where it is - if you roll the bike forwards slightly the needle will return to 0 mph! Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
Dave.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

freestylerfcu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another speedo question!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »

hi not sure if this would help. i did have a similar issue with my speedometer.

i pretty sure that you have oiled the cable, so that is not the problem
the proble might be, that the cable is coiled for the neutral position, what i mean is:
when you connect the speedo-cable, connect only the wheel base. (lower part) <<<
DO NOT CONNECT the ypper part(the one to the reader) yet. spins the front wheel for a while
the cable will resets itself to a neutral position. (ps you might have to put bike on a bench or something.)
only after rolly let's say for 1 minute, then you connect the upper part.

hope that this helps my friend

TheCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Another speedo question!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »

hi not sure if this would help. i did have a similar issue with my speedometer.

i pretty sure that you have oiled the cable, so that is not the problem
the proble might be, that the cable is coiled for the neutral position, what i mean is:
when you connect the speedo-cable, connect only the wheel base. (lower part) <<<
DO NOT CONNECT the ypper part(the one to the reader) yet. spins the front wheel for a while
the cable will resets itself to a neutral position. (ps you might have to put bike on a bench or something.)
only after rolly let's say for 1 minute, then you connect the upper part.

hope that this helps my friend

Thanks for the suggestion! Will definately give it a try. Sorry for the late response and your answer is much appreciated!
All the best!

Tags: