Author Topic: Swing arm bushes on the 250STXE  (Read 21670 times)

Johnny

• View Profile
Swing arm bushes on the 250STXE
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:50:37 PM »

Well I've now driven 1500k on my 250STXE and the rubber swing arm bushes have finally given up. I will never understand why Shineray made these bushes out of rubber  :o. They finally understood that you can't make the A-arm bushes out of rubber either, I think my STXE was one of the first models (June 2009) to have the A-arm bushes made from delrin and not rubber. Why on earth have they not done the same for the swing arm. They have got to be cheaper than the rubber bushes.

I have now made a new set of delrin bushes myself, complete with a new stainless steel tube to go through the frame, there will be a new stainless steel M12 bolt and safety nut as well.

If you notice that it is difficult to hold your 250 in a straight line on the road, then please have a look at your swing arm bushes. Just lift the rear axle of the ground and check weather your swing arm has any sideways movement. It should be nice and firm with only up and down movement.

This can also be a problem on the 250STIXE as well.

If anybody is interested in the dimensions for the bushes and the steel tube and has access to a lath, then let me know.

Cheers
Johnny
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:45:29 AM by Johnny »
If it aint broke, don't fix it

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

mav

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Swing arm bushes on the 250STXE
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:15:46 AM »

hi johnny are you on about the rear swingarm bushes because mine is a250 stixe on a 09 plate and mine have already gone and i have only done 150 miles i would be very gratefull if you can tell me of any upgrades for these or were to get newones

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »

Hi Mav,

Unfortunately I am not aware of any upgrades availble for these bushes, certaninly not suitable ones. You can get originals, however, you would still have the same problem again.

Mine are custom made, you said that your quad is the STIXE, these to the best of my knowledge are slightly different from the STXE. I think the main bolt is an M16 whereas mine is an M12. So I am not sure what the dimentions are on the STIXE, and certainly the bushes are different in the later models (mine is a June 2009 version).

Sorry I can't be of  more help
Johnny

mav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:38:52 AM »

hi johnny thanks for the info will keep you updated with my progress.as iam a newbie and not sure how to post yet

PAULXR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »

Hi jonny i have the stxe and yes the bushes have gone. please could you drop me the sizes please @ paulxr@aol.com many thanks paul

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:59:54 AM »

Hi Paul,

I will send you the dimensions over the next day or so. Sorry I can't do it sooner, I'm somewhat busy at work at the moment.

Cheers Johnny

biglee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »

Rear axel bush on my xy250stxe!!! ???javascript:void(0);

Hi folks,im new on here and would really like to pick some brains!(Especially johnny!) Just had my quad 2 weeks,already the sensor has been ripped off the back.my friend looked and said the chain was slack so we removed a link,it was great for a day!Then went all slack again!! Looking now it seems the bush has gone and caused movement,hence my speedo being ripped off aswell! So im thinking i dont want to keep paying out for the original cheap bushes.Cud i relace with a sealed bearing rather than a bush?Or does anybody know a way round already to a better option? If so were and price please? If i could use a sealed bearing does anybody know the size id need to get? If this works id gladly pass on the address of the company id use for bearings to help others! My quad is an 08 plate just done 700 miles! Also done an oil an plug change the weekend (castrol 4t 10-40 oil). ngkr lithium plug.Hopefully im doing things rite but any information and tips will be very much appreciated!! Thanks folks!  im from the west midlands englandjavascript:void(0);
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:17:44 PM by biglee »

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:49:17 AM »

Hi biglee,

I think what you are after are the rear axle bearings (not to be confused with the swing arm bushes which are at the other end of your swing arm , not the axle end), it also sounds to me as though your chain is too tight. The chain should be adjusted when you are sat on your quad, the chain should then have about 1-2cm play. If the chain it too tight then you will rapidly destroy the axle bearings.

The bearings you need are as follows:

2 x 61907 or 6907zz  (I would suggest SKF bearings)

and

2 x 40x55x8 or 40x55x7 dust seals (this is subject to the size of the original seals, you will need to measure these, same with the bearings)

I would also suggest you buy a new chain, the original chain does tend stretch relatively quickly.

Cheers Johnny

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:53:24 AM by Johnny »

madhillbilly17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:41:53 AM »

surprise surprise my rear axle bearings have also gone 157 miles !! 59 plate 6 months old, only done 157 miles because it has broke every time ive road it after 20 miles something always fails!!

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »

I ride my quad every day (summer and winter), I have done 2500k and so far all I have replaced is one ball joint, one brake disc (was bent from new) and I have replaced the swing arm bushes (total cost is about 40). I am still using the original chain and all wheel and axle bearings.

These machines require constant maintenance, you cannot expect to ride these things and not expect to do periodic maintenance. If you do, then I would suggest buying a honda or a kawasaki at 5 times the price of our quads. I might also add that the brand quads still require repairs (they do break down as well) and maintenance, the difference is that the parts also cost 5 times as much.

I work in an office all day and therefore I also enjoy getting my hands dirty on the weekends. Besides its also a lot of fun.

Have fun people, cheers Johnny
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:04:40 AM by Johnny »

DaveM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »

Hi I have an STII with 12mm swing arm pivot bolt. The bolt is excessively loose in the bushs so I need to replace them could you let me know the bush dimensions so I can try and buy the before dismantling?

Many thanks

Tags: