Author Topic: shineray XY250ST-9E, 2008 model, having major problems!!  (Read 61781 times)

benton1576

• View Profile
shineray XY250ST-9E, 2008 model, having major problems!!
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »

Hi, Ive been scrawling the internet for days now trying to find info on my quad but getting nowhere until now!

I bought my quad from a friend of mine last week and been having loads of fun with it, however, today i was riding it and it shuddered a bit, as though it had run out of fuel and cut out. i tried restarting it but it wont start. checked the spark plug and got a shock from it so it works fine! lol.

it has a full tank of fuel so that isnt the problem. it seems as though the fuel isnt getting into the carb no matter how much choke i use or throttle. it was working fine until today! i dont know anything about repairing quads or maintenece for that matter. i did notice though that at the front, under the lights is what appears to be a pipe with nothing on the end, i think it should have an air filter there as when the engine was running i could feel it sucking when i put my finger on the end. i havnt got a manual for it. does anyone have a manual in that they could email to me?  i really want this quad to work as it is going to be my main mode of transport to work so my wife can use the car.

someone please help, ill provide any information possible if requested.

regards,
Mark

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Johnny

• View Profile
Re: shineray XY250ST-9E, 2008 model, having major problems!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »

Hi Mark,
At the base of your carbi is a small screw, loosen the screw and see if petrol comes out. If yes, then you are getting fuel to your carbi. You have already indicated that you have spark, so that is OK.

The hose you mentioned, is for the emission control. Eventually you may want to disconnect that, if you want I can tell you how to do that later, lets see if we can get you going first.

Try to start your motor with the starter, then have a look at your spark plug, if it is wet then you are getting fuel to your cylinder. Is it still the original plug? Change it to a new NGK if it is still the original.

Let us know how you get on.

Johnny
If it aint broke, don't fix it

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »

ok, theres fuel going to the carb. i managed to get it started today. took it for a drive, got about 500 metres and it shuddered as though out of fuel, cut out and wouldnt start. this only seems to be happening since i refueled at the pump. petrol is petrol right? i put the same in as i would my car. do you have the part number for the spark plug as i would like to buy a new 1 anyway.

so what is that pipe, emmision control? what is that for, i am using this on the road so surely i need to keep emissions low. is this a water cooled quad as i cant find an air filter anywhere on it. thats why i though the pipe was meant to have an air filter on the end.

also, the screw on the side of the carb, is that for adjusting mixture? if so, how many turns out from closed should i have it?

its pretty cold over here, could that be my problem? its -4c at the moment!!

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:21 AM »

Im in Germany by the way, near Bruggen. i noticed on your profile that your from southern Germany. I wonder if you do the same job as me?! lol

alex123

• View Profile
    • ATV Shineray
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

I refer you to change the petrol filter and make a little hole on the tank cap and put a tube. Check the phto http://www.atvvarna.com/atv-snimki/IMG_2595.jpg

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »

thanks alex, ill do that. i think i got it fixed now though. i noticed the choke was sticking on which explains it cutting out then not restarting coz i was flooding the engine. ill put the chock cable back on tonight and give it a go! the cable was sticking so a bit of wd40 fixed that.

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:30 PM »

Hi Mark,

The hose is part of a system that pre-heats air going into the carbi, I've forgotten what its called in English (German; Klapperventil or Ausgleichsventil). Have a look on the right hand side of your cylinder, and you will see a metal pipe coming out. This is then connected via a rubber hose to a valve system under your petrol tank, the hose you mention is also attached to the valve, there is a third hose (smaller diameter) that then goes to your carbi. The sparkplug is a NGK DP8EA or a DPR8EA, can be be bought at ATU for about 6. Change the plug cap as well.  You are paying tax for the dirtiest system going (27 per 100cc), therefore I would not worry too much about  emmission controls

The screw you mention is to the rear of the carbi (facing down), this is the mixture screw, depending on what main jet you have in your carbi, the screw should be set at about 2.5 turns out if it is the standard jet (95 I think) . The screw on the right hand side of the carbi is the idle screw, should be set at about 1200 rpm. The screw at the base of the carbi is the drain screw for the float chamber (beside the rubber hose at the bottom of the carbi).

Normally the 250STE does not come standard with a fuel filter, it is a good idea to install one. These can be bought at ATU for about 3-4 (8mm standard car filter).

I am an Australian living in Mindelheim and working in Munich in a Patent Attorney's office. I hope that has answered some of your questions.

Johnny
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:55:07 PM by Johnny »

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:28:46 AM »

So, if the hose is there to pre-heat the air as it enters the carb then surely i should leave it on especially for the colder months such as now?

The screw you mention on the side of the carb, you say is for the revs? My quad was running at 2000 rpm when it was fully warm. Ill adjust that screw when i take it out next. Should i be running my quad rich at the moment as it has only done 150km? I'm hoping to take it out tomorrow so if you get back to me today that would be great.

I have a few more questions in my quest to become a quad master!! lol

how do i adjust the suspension? I know its spring but also air pressured so how do i soften it as i dont seem to be able to find an air valve? I'm only 68kg and this was set up for my friend who is 80kg+.

should my engine be running hot at around 120c? It seems a bit high to me to be honest. how can i cool it?

I was given motor bike oil for my quad but Im sure because its a 4 stroke i should be using 4 stroke oil? over in Germany it says 4T correct? What oil do you recommend?

Last question, my engine sounds a bit rough, like a kind of tapping sound when i rev the engine. Is this normal or do i need to check the gear box oil and if so what gearbox oil do i put in and where? Id like to give my quad a full service so oil, spark plugs all that kind of stuff, can you recommend to me the best to use please.

Any help is greatly appreciated johnny. thanks in advance.
Mark

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »

Hi Mark,
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner.  I have completely disconnected the the hoses and removed the valve from my machine and I ride it everyday and that at times when the temperature is down to -10 to -15, so you can decide if you want to leave it connected or not. You will probably find that the tapping noise you are hearing is that valve, either that or your intake, exhaust valves need adjusting. You will need to adjust your valves when you do your first service (300km). You should be running your quad a bit rich during the run-in period (first 1000km). Have a look at some of the other posts I have responded to with regard the temperature. These machines will handle up to about 140 but only for short periods.  These motors will run hot when they are new, and will loosen up over time. It is very important that these motors are run-in properly, i.e., do not drive faster than about 50kmh for the first 300km and then no faster than about 60kmh till 500km. Change the oil at about 300, 500, and 1000k (its only a litre)

The suspension is adjusted by the large nut at the top of the springs, To soften the suspension screw the nut higher. There is no valve to adjust.  I have been using Castrol 4T in my motor for the last 2000km without any problems. By the way, there is no gearbox oil, the gear bos is part of the engine and therefore uses the same oil.

Hope I was able to answer some of your questions, if you require more info let me know. Did you get my PM? That should help you a bit more.

Regards Johnny

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:19:07 AM »

hi johnny, i got your pm but couldnt understand the website as i dont speak german and i couldnt find a decent translator online.

anyway, i went out for a ride the other day and was having lots of fun when it decided to cut out on me again, i know its not the choke now as i fixed it, does this quad have a thermal cut off when it gets hot? meybe thats the problem. i changed the spark plug so its not that.

i bought some oil today but not sure if i should use it. it is castrol power 1 racing, 4T 10w-50. will it be ok in my quad. its fully synthetic and if my mind sets me right i dont think synthetic oil is recommended. what do you think? does it definatly have to be 4 stroke oil, 4T? i can get other oil at different weights but doesnt say 4T on the bottle.

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »

Hi Mark,

No, they do not have thermal cutoff, I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment, I can'T think where the problem might be. You will have to systematicaly eliminate the possibilities, i.e., spark, fuel, air. If you have all three, there is no reason for it not to run. These machines aren't all that complicated.

Yes you should use a 4t oil, some people have used synthetic oil and are very happy with it, I don't use it. These motors are not the most modern (they are a copy of a 1965 Honda) and therefore the tolerances are not up to the standards required for synthetic oil. The 4T oil is especially designed for "wet clutches" the correct oil must have a JASO standard.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. I will give it some further thought and if I come up with something I will let you know.

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 03:44:52 AM »

thanks johnny.

i may have found the problem. i was adjusting the air mix on the carb, i wound it all the way in and it only took 1 full turn so meybe it was to lean! ive wound it out to 2 1\2 turns now, seems to run a bit smoother on idle. had to re adjust the rev screw though but no harm done. the ticking sounds as though its coming from the exhaust so meybe it is the valve. how do i adjust them? my quad has 259km on the clock, can i adjust them now as the ticking is really concerning me?

if you could talk me through step by step how to adjust them that would be brill.

so, 10w-50 oil is ok to use on my quad instead of 15w-40? im gonna put it in as soon as possible if it is correct.

Many thanks mate,
Mark

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »

Hi Mark, you have mail

Johnny

benton1576

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:11 AM »

hi johnny,

my quad is working perfectly now. thank you so much for all your help. just gotta buy some new tyres now and meybe some of those lovely looking indicators from ebay.de! lol. ;D

Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:21 AM »

Any time, I'm glad to have been able to help, that is what we are here for.

Just as an extra thought, keep an eye on your ball joints in your steering and all your wheel bearings, they are not very good quality. I have already had to buy one set of ball joints.

The beauty of these machines is that they are not difficult to repair and the parts are not expensive to replace. Try doing that with a Suzuki quad, and believe me they do breakdown, and they are very expensive to repair.

Have fun
Johnny  ;D

Tags: